MVEC Logo MVEC Logo
The QANTAS Hangar was built in 1934 and has survived WWII and Cyclone Tracy. For a detailed history of the Hangar Click here.In late 1997, the Northern Territory Government purchased the hangar from

MVEC News

The 1934 QANTAS Hangar

The QANTAS Hangar was built in 1934 and has survived WWII and Cyclone Tracy. For a detailed history of the Hangar Click here.

In late 1997, the Northern Territory Government purchased the hangar from Air Services Australia (formally DCA).

In January 1999, the Motor Vehicle Enthusiasts Club (MVEC) signed a lease, with the Dept of Arts and Museums, and commenced bringing the hangar back to a useful state and now uses the QANTAS Hangar as its headquarters and workshop.

Members have converted the main hangar into a display area in which the club and some members vehicles can be viewed.

On permanent display within the hangar are:

� Steam traction engine "Margaret Rose"

� 1918 AEC truck

� 1927 Thornycroft truck

� 1989 B Model Mack truck

� Dennis Fire engines

� 1885 Steam Engine "Sandfly"

� a display of the history of the hangar

Plus many vehicles owned by members and one of the largest collections of stationary engines in Australia, the Izod Collection.

The two annexes, off the main hangar area, are used as workshops where members can be found working on their vehicles and club equipment.

Visitors are welcome to come in for a chat and a wander around the hangar. No entrance fee applies, however a donation to help the club meet Hangar running expenses is appreciated

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Page last updated: 12 July 2017 | 18854

close

Please Enter your login details.